GrapheneOS is an open source project with an open development process.
The GrapheneOS sources are hosted in the GrapheneOS organization on GitHub. Since there are many repositories, this page aims to provide a guide for it. See the reporting issues section on the contact page for an comparable overview of where issues should be filed.
The operating system source tree includes hundreds of repositories. Many of these are only used for debugging, testing or development and are not actually part of what gets used for building a production release. The manifest repository references all of these. Most of these are used unmodified from the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). A few dozen of the repositories including most of the core OS are either forked from AOSP or are unique to GrapheneOS.
The operating system has a unified build system, but some components like Chromium are too complex to fit into it so they're included as prebuilts instead of porting them to the AOSP build system. This is also done for developer convenience and bootstrapping, to avoid needing to build all the native / cross-compilation toolchains for each host and target platform combination, etc. The prebuilts can all be built from source if desired. The build instructions will be expanded to cover all of this in the future.
For a full list of the repositories in the OS source tree, look at the default.xml list in the manifest repository.
GrapheneOS forks of AOSP source tree repositories:
- platform_manifest: Manifest for OS repositories
GrapheneOS forks of AOSP kernel repositories:
- kernel_manifest-coral: Kernel manifest for the Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL and Pixel 4a.
- kernel_build-coral: Kernel build system for the Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL and Pixel 4a.
- kernel_google_coral: Kernel sources for the Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL and Pixel 4a.
- kernel_google_coral_teckpack_audio: Kernel audio drivers for the Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL and Pixel 4a.
- kernel_manifest-redbull: Kernel manifest for the Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5 and Pixel 5a.
- kernel_build-redbull: Kernel build system for the Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5 and Pixel 5a.
- kernel_google_redbull: Kernel sources for the Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5 and Pixel 5a.
- kernel_google_redbull_drivers_staging_qcacld-3.0: Kernel Wi-Fi driver for the Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5 and Pixel 5a.
- kernel_google_redbull_teckpack_audio: Kernel audio drivers for the Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5 and Pixel 5a.
- kernel_manifest-bluejay: Kernel manifest for the Pixel 6a.
- kernel_manifest-raviole: Kernel manifest for the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro.
- kernel_build-gs: Kernel build system for the Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 6a.
- kernel_common-5.10: Generic Linux 5.10 kernel sources.
- kernel_gs: Kernel sources for the Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 6a.
- kernel_google-modules_wlan_bcmdhd_bcm4389: Kernel Wi-Fi/Bluetooth driver for the Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro and Pixel 6a.
- kernel_common-5.15: Generic Linux 5.15 kernel sources.
Repositories added by GrapheneOS:
- platform_external_Apps: Apps app prebuilt
- platform_external_Auditor: Auditor app prebuilt
- platform_external_Camera: Camera app prebuilt
- platform_external_PdfViewer: PDF Viewer app prebuilt
- platform_external_talkback: TalkBack app (GrapheneOS fork) prebuilt
- platform_external_vanadium: Vanadium browser, WebView and library prebuilts
- platform_packages_apps_Updater: OS update client
These are standalone app projects developed by GrapheneOS and included in the OS. This does not include the many apps included by AOSP without modifications by GrapheneOS or with only minor modifications.
- infrastructure: Shared server infrastructure
- AttestationServer: attestation.app remote attestation server
- grapheneos.org: Main website servers
- releases.grapheneos.org: OS update and app repository servers
- apps.grapheneos.org: Application repository
- grapheneos.network: Connectivity check, network time, PSDS and attestation provisioning servers
- mail.grapheneos.org: Mail server
- matrix.grapheneos.org: Matrix and Element Web server
- ns1.grapheneos.org: DNS servers
- discuss.grapheneos.org: Discussion forum server
An archive of legacy repositories is available via the GrapheneOS Archive organization. This only covers repositories archives after renaming the project to GrapheneOS. Earlier code is mostly not available via GitHub anymore due to the unfortunate events leading to the rename of the project.